Dean J. Zipser
- Commercial Litigation
- Class Actions
- Intellectual Property
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising Litigation
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- International Business Disputes
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
Dean J. Zipser is a recognized leader in the Orange County legal community, having served as President of the Orange County Bar Association and the Association of Business Trial Lawyers-Orange County Chapter. In 2003, Dean received the Jurisprudence Award given by the Anti-Defamation League, which recognizes individual commitment to the highest ideals of the legal profession and dedicated service to the community. He has been listed for several years as one of the “Best Lawyers in America®” in the fields of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Banking and Finance Litigation, and Real Estate, and has recently been named Best Lawyers’ 2014 Orange County Bet-the-Company “Lawyer of the Year.” In addition, he has been chosen as a “Super Lawyer” (for Civil Litigation, Class Actions, Complex Litigation, Construction, and Intellectual Property) for Southern California since 2005, an honor limited to only 5% of Southern California lawyers.
Dean is known for his handling of large, complex, and “bet-the-company” cases, from pre-trial consulting, through pre-trial, trial, and appeal. His civil business litigation practice includes complex matters in intellectual property, consumer class action, contract, business torts, real estate, construction, and lender liability. He also advises clients on techniques to avoid or minimize the risks of litigation and has extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution procedures. In addition, Dean has been trained as a mediator, and has been called upon to assist parties in settling disputes.
Dean serves a list of premier industry leaders and Fortune 1000 companies. Some of his cases have included: representing Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., in various consumer class actions; commercial litigation matters for Bed, Bath & Beyond and Cost Plus, Inc.; handling disputes involving real estate, construction, contract, and class-actions on behalf of Shea Homes and Mission Viejo Company; and litigating intellectual property matters for Target Corp., Ralphs Grocery Co., El Torito Restaurants, Inc., Flight Test Historical Foundation, and Playmates Toys.
Dean was honored to be named as one of the 176 lawyers nationwide on the BTI Consulting 2009 Client All-Star Team. The survey was the result of interviews with more than 270 general counsels at Fortune 1000 and other companies. BTI sought the attorneys who stand for leveraging knowledge of their clients’ businesses to deliver strategic advice, who keep their clients’ interests top of mind through the efficient use of time and resources, and who provide responsive and timely answers to clients’ most precious needs.
A committed advocate for those who are less fortunate, Dean regularly works on cases on a pro bono basis and has served on the Board of the Public Law Center. Prior to joining KRUZ, Dean was a partner with Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP (co-chair of the firm’s Class Actions and Financial Services Litigation practice groups), and before that was the managing partner and head of the Litigation Department at the Orange County office of Morrison & Foerster LLP.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2008–2014
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Orange County Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2014
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2005–2013
- BTI Consulting Client Service All-Star Team, 2009
- Recipient, Anti-Defamation League’s Jurisprudence Award, 2003
- Dean has written on various litigation and practice-related subjects. Among other things, Dean also has authored articles on intellectual property and other litigation topics in bar association and business journals, including Orange County Lawyer and Orange County Business Journal. In addition, he wrote the chapter “Developing Young Lawyers” in Raise the Bar, published by the American Bar Association. For approximately 15 years he co-authored the yearly supplement to the California Continuing Education of the Bar’s publication of California Lis Pendens Practice, and co-authored the second edition of that book. For the past several years Dean has co-authored the chapter on pretrial motions in the California State Bar Litigation Section’s yearly update of California law. He also is the author of “Builders’ Liability for Latent Defects in Used Homes,” which appeared in the Stanford Law Review.
- Dean has lectured on various litigation- and practice-related subjects, including legal ethics, intellectual property, pretrial discovery, real estate litigation, and governance issues.
- He has been a speaker or panelist for a variety of organizations, including The Rutter Group, Orange County Bar Association, and National Association of Bar Executives.
- Prosecuting and defending contract, unfair competition, false advertising, product liability, and business tort actions for Toshiba America Information Systems and Apple, Inc.
- Partnership disputes for Washington Mutual; real estate and contract actions for Bed Bath & Beyond, Cost Plus, Inc., and CB Richard Ellis
- Construction litigation matters for Shea Homes and Mission Viejo Company
- Business tort actions for Fujitsu, Tokyu Corp. , and IHI, Inc., among many others
- Representation of Toshiba America Information Systems and Apple, Inc. in various consumer class actions involving claims of product liability, unfair competition, breach of warranty, and false advertising, and alleged statutory violations.
- Representation of numerous financial institutions in class actions alleging breach of contract, unfair competition, and regulatory claims.
- Representation of product manufacturers in various product liability and warranty claims.
- Representation of real estate developers in various construction-related class action claims.
- Representation of El Torito Restaurants in a high-profile trademark matter challenging the use of the term “Taco Tuesday” in which we secured a summary judgment on all claims.
- Representation of Target Corp., Ralphs Grocery Co., Flight Test Historical Foundation, Shea Homes, Item Software, Korn/Ferry, and Playmates Toys, among others, in various trademark, service mark, trade name, and copyright litigation.